What did you read that you think bettered you?
This was the year of reading online for me, I fell in love with a lot of articles essays and blog posts that I read online but If I had to pick one it would be EverydayFeminism.com. I am a feminist but a lot of the times it feel like I have no idea what I’m talking about or what being a feminist really is. I chose this site instead of one of the (lovely) books I read in 2015 because just reading the occasional article has made me a better person, from their posts on ableism and disability to articles like why intention isn’t always important, I feel like reading everyday Feminism has made me a better educated and more empathetic person.
What are songs that you will always hear and think of this year even when you’re listening on some contraption that hasn’t even been invented yet?
- From Eden by Hozier- New York City and all that coldness.
- Seventeen By Alessia Cara- makes me feel all nostalgic about an age I haven’t really enjoyed being.
- Hollaback Girl & Where are U Now- year 12 and the feeling of “I have no idea what’s going on ever and I don’t know if I’m going to fail my a levels or not but I have good people around me and I’m laughing and smiling a lot more than I will in a couple of months but everything will be okay.”
What were quotes that you loved this year?
- Commit to the process to such an extent that you almost ignore the parts that seem too difficult.
- Sometimes I wish that I could change But not for me, for you So we could be together, forever But I know, I know that I won’t change for you Cause where were you for me When I needed someone?-Carly Rae Jepsen.
- Part of the reason you start to hate your hometown by senior year or earlier is just because you’re so tired of being surrounded by these former version of you who knew you when you…- Tavi Gevinson (Longform Podcast)
What are the most important things you learned this year?
- Manage your expectations and try not to imagine things in your head beforehand too much.
- Even the things that don’t last forever have good memories attached to them, remember the good times and be thankful for them rather than resenting the bad.
- Only you can push yourself to actually do the thing you need to.
- Make good decisions, I beg, even if it’s difficult.
What are you excited about leaving behind in 2015?
- The sixth form common room that instantly makes me feel grey.
- My tendency to overthink things and care too much about other people’s opinions.
- The laziness and inaction.
What are your biggest hopes for 2016?
- That I continue to grow mentally spiritually and personally.
- That I get into the university that I want to and love the course.
- That my favourite people stay in my life and that I meet a lot of new people that I will love.
- That I finish writing my book.
- That my dreams become closer to my reality.